Monday, January 11

I Can Do It!!

This is the week of BECOMING.
my mum and I had a discussion on the stupidity of New Year's Resolutions. I have always thought they were a terrible idea. so she told me of the idea of picking a word, and applying it to your life. for example, the person she heard it from choose the word "blogger" last year, and proceeded to post something everyday. so i thought and pondered for a while, and then decided on the word "becoming". This year I am becoming a writer, and artist, thinner, more active, happier, healthier... it has really changed my outlook. well for these first few weeks at least.
So tonight I did my 10 minute workout DVD with Ashley and Dave cheering me on. it was tough, my incisions from my surgery prevented me from doing my best, but it was good to get moving and all hot and bothered:) i like working out w/ dave & ash, they keep me going and help me to not take it so seriously. I have eaten relatively well today, with the exception of Nutella. I cant make myself not eat it. i am keeping track of everything that i eat, and that helps me not to eat it. i think to myself "do i want everyone looking in my wee notebook to see what i have been eating? NO! so dont eat that thing" See how clever this is? Very clever indeed.
Another confession: i am addicted. i have a terrible addiction to Jane Austen books and movies. I am reading Persuasion and watching it on DVD for about the 100th time since i received it for Christmas. I know, it makes even the strongest of heart weak at the knees at the mere mention of Miss Austen. I cant help it. I adore her. I am quite upset at her secretive nature during her life. Her sister Cassandra burned most of their letters to each other after her death, because a lot of what was in them was considered inappropriate at the time and she didn't want the public to think badly of her. And so we know almost nothing about her personally. It makes me sad.


Another thing that has made me sad today is the news that Miep Gies has passed away at age 100. She was one of the people who helped Anne Frank and her family hide from the Nazi's for 25 months. I read the Diary of Anne Frank this summer and was completely taken in. I fell in love with that young women. She was so very young. Everyday I tried to imagine myself in her place, living in a tiny space with people who made her crazy. I would have gone mad. How brave. And yet, would the book have made such an impact if her death had been 40 years later instead of being cut short so horribly at age 15? We will never know. I was moved by her writing. I loved her words and her feelings. I can clearly remember being 15 years old, and I think that is why it has stayed with me. She touched me. I'm a fan *click* :)

No comments: